Conventional Demands on Time & Energy
- Personal Image/Esteem
Teenagers spend 2-6 hours per
day on modern demands
+ 21st Century Demands on Time & Energy
- Social Media
- Graphic News
- Targeted Marketing
Monitoring Devices (Fitbit)
Middle / High School Students
Only 10% Talk to a Friend
15% Resign to Google
15% Resort to Alcohol
80% Turn to Social Media
What are the students, teachers, and principals saying?
- Want easy access to a variety of reliable information so they can help themselves and their friends
- Want some way to gain control over their life – Anxiety and depression is a “major problem” among their peers*
- Don’t always go to peers, parents or teachers for solutions
- Limited time for additional training – already so many things on our plate
- Challenging to motivate students
- How do we know what the students are using and how useful they are finding it?
- Lack of funding for training and expensive tools.
- Will it help me get a pulse of my school?
- Will it align with existing SEL curriculum and guidelines?
“70% Of teens say anxiety and depression is a “major problem” among their peers.”
-PEW SURVEY, FEBRUARY 2019*
78% Of teens have a cellphone and 37% of all teens use smartphones. Social and emotional learning programs should ideally be developed using mobile applications (“apps”) that can reduce barriers to program success.
– HANDBOOK OF SOCIAL & EMOTIONAL LEARNING, 2017**